(vintage glass brochure from a shop owned by some distant relatives of mine)
So the Olympics, fashion week, and Valentine's day are all cool but there is another February event that owns my heart.
This weekend marks the beginning of the annual Venetian carnival.
Next year, i will be floating down the Grand Canal in a gondola in full Venetian splendor. This year i am creating some Venetian art in honor of my ancestor's festival.
You better believe that I wish that i could hop into a time machine back to an 18th century Venetian Carnival.
Even-though, i am an American mutt i feel like my Venetian roots have perhaps inspired my art the most. My grandmother's family Nason has over a thousand years of history in Venice. i am the spawn of Machiavellian Venetian merchants & free spirited glass artisans. One day i will direct a period movie set in Venezia that would make Fellini blush.
other selling factors for me are
1. the largest oil painting in the world on canvas is in the Venetian Doge's palace
"the Coronation of the Virgin" by Tintoretto
2. prominent mermaid symbolism in art
(i want this book http://www.amazon.com/Mermaids-Venice-Fantastic-Creatures-Renaissance/dp/190537545X/?qid=1341527398&s=books&sr=1-7&keywords=Mermaids+in+art&ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_7 )
3. masks! costumes! balls!
4. fresh seafood
(photos by nefertara)
5. I studied abroad in Venice
6. the official dog of Venice is a maltese. Venetian traders used to trade malteses for luxury goods.
(Woman with a Mirror (1512-1515) by Titian. She is an example of idealized Venetian beauty)
7. Venetian blonde - a shade of dark strawberry blonde is my natural hair color
(photo by nefertara)
9. Venice is named after my favorite Goddess Venus.
10. the Mediterranean
11. the architecture
13. pistachio cookies
14. San Marco is my favorite church in creation
15. gold, mosaics, and tiles
17. a fabulous film festival!
18. Venetian painted ceilings
19. Venetian mirrors
20. Titian, Veronese, Tiepolo, Vivaldi, and Tintoretto
21. The lion of St Mark
(photo by nefertara)